This is the final post on my piece “Brought to Life: Perennial Peavine”.
Part 1 dealt with the background and ink drawing in the middle.
Part 2 dealt with the rest of the painting.
Part 3 goes back to the story I told in part 1 about the mantis that took up residence on the vine in my garden. When I first started the “Brought to Life” series I was interested in bringing a DaVinci-esque line drawing to life using color. As I pondered on how to add a mantis to my piece, I thought it might be neat to add an additional dimension and sculpt the mantis. So here are some stages of the mantis…
I start with a sketch, then make an armature with polymer clay and wire and bake.
Then I add additional layers of clay
I add a patina…for me that’s adding acrylic paint and rubbing off the excess so the paint stays in the crevasses. I also sanded everything smooth at this point since it’s easier doing it now than with a bunch of legs in the way.
In the process of adding the wings, head and antennae, I got rather involved and forgot to keep photographing, but hopefully you get the idea!
Here’s the final mantis and then how I positioned it on the painting. Enjoy!