Here’s the progress report on my Cottonwood Tree Borer:
I added thin layers of clay to build out the part of the body covered by the elytra (wing covers). Once the body had the overall right shape, I added slices of my patterned cane and then carved away thin pieces to perfect the shape. You can see the pile on my work area to the bottom left. I always get involved at this stage and forget to take intermediate pictures…love it when that happens!
On the ventral side I was able to smear the clay in a painting manner because it (and my house in general) was very warm and pliable. No paint has been used so far-it’s all clay.
The top has been sanded through 5 stages of sandpaper and now he’s ready to have legs and antennae finished. Enjoy!